Tuesday, May 9, 2017

I Ran into a Snag

I only have the one kidney due to a tumor ten years ago (long story--probably part of how my fibromyalgia started), which means that my doctor likes to do kidney function tests every once in awhile, just to make sure it's still okay.  The tests a couple of weeks back showed I have a UTI, which was weird because I didn't recognize it from symptoms.  Then again, I often have UTI symptoms (why two urologists thought I had interstitial cystitis), so I ignore them until they become bigger, more real.

Anyway, I got on the Cipro that tends to work (they use the stronger stuff to protect my kidney), started this 21 day diet, and thought nothing of it other than how to make sure I had plenty of time before and after taking my antibiotic with no calcium (it makes Cipro not work).

Yesterday, I got severe pain, the kind I hadn't had in ages.  Take my breath away level pain.  I figured that meant the antibiotic wasn't working and messaged my doctor.  He told me to stop the antibiotic, see if the pain went away, and if I stayed symptomatic, to let my Ob/Gyn know since it's more her area.  No biggie, but then I got to thinking: what if it's the shakes?

Turns out, protein shakes can cause urinary pain.  This is probably why Dr. Brady says to drink half our weight in ounces of water daily, which I'd been coming close to doing for days.  The pain yesterday started not long after my breakfast shake and was bad enough I didn't eat much the rest of the day, though my weight stayed the same.

So, I'm taking a few days off of the Fibro Fix 21 Day Challenge, taking it easy on everything, babying my bladder and kidney with lots of water, asparagus, and my usual supplements (and probiotics, definitely!).  If the pain goes away, that was it.  If it doesn't, then I'll get another urine test to see what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.